Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

My precious ones

Hey, Jess here!

I kind of neglected it, but I own a few guitars. Whoa, newsbreak, I know! But really I used to play the guitar and I still have my little precious ones. So I wanted to tell you all about them, why I started playing the guitar and also why I stopped.

So, I think I was twelve years old (but maybe a little younger) when I decided that I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. After saving and a little help from my parents, I  could buy my first acoustic guitar and a few books to learn how to read music and play simple tunes. At first I really loved doing that and I got the hang of it quite easily. But it didn't take too long for me to get bored of it. And I don't think that's reall weird, because no one would like doing the same thing over and over again.

My first electric guitar
So that's why I decided that I wanted to have an electric guitar. I'm not sure where the money came from, but for just 100 euros I had my own electric guitar with a (very) small amp. The quality of it all was not all that great, but to me it was awesome. I loved this even more than my acoustic guitar!

I started to look up how I could play the songs I listened to. But this was really difficult, because I didn't know how to play chords and all. So every time I found a song I wanted to play, I had to figure out what the chords were first. This took a lot of time, but I definitely learned from it.

A little while later, my mother somehow decided to buy herself a guitar to. This was an acoustic guitar, but it was different than mine. This was a black western guitar. (I'm very sorry if that's not the actual name!) I absolutely loved it. Like I said; it was actually my mother's, but I ended up being the one playing on it and keeping it in my room. But why did I need another acoustic guitar, you might ask? Because this one sounded way more beautiful in my opinion. My own guitar sounded kind of hollow to me, but this one had a strong sound. I don't really know how to explain it, but I just liked it a whole lot more. But unfortunately it was my mother's and she decided to sell it. (Yes, that made me angry.) At some point I sold my own acoustic quitar too, though I can't remember why and when. But that's the reason I don't have pictures of them anymore.

The black beauty <3
Not much later after that, I decided to take lessons. As the introvert I am, this was quite a big step. I mean, being alone in a room with another person (adult male actually) who was really good at what I was trying to learn, while I am really awkward, clumsy AND afraid of making mistakes. While making mistakes is part of the learning process! Yeah, not my favourite thing to do... But I had those lessons with my electric guitar and that made it worth it.

I took these lessons alone for a year. During that year I met a girl who became my best friend in a week or so. Really, we got a long so well and so soon, haha! After that year alone, we took lessons together. So now it was the two of us with that same man. It made it a lot more fun for me. She was better than me and I was still awkward and all, but we had fun.

During this year, I wanted to have an electric guitar with better quality. The cheap one had a problem that wasn't a major thing, but it also couldn't be fixed according to someone in the shop we went to. I already knew what kind of guitar I wanted, so when I could finally go to the shop, I immediately looked for it. But then I saw it! The black, spiked one. It wasn't what I was looking for initially, but I fell in love. And the best part was the price. Not only did I think this one was a beauty, it was also really cheap! Now, I don't mean it was just 15 euros or something, it was still quite some money. But it almost seemed like they put the wrong price tag there, haha. I showed it to my mom, who was with me because she can, well, drive and she said that it was a great deal. And that's how I got that beauty.

But, unfortunately, I stopped playing. At first I just didn't play that much (because of my mental
The new acoustic one
condition, so to speak), but eventually I stopped entirely. Over the past few years, I have picked on of them up maybe twice, three times at most. That was only to check if I could still play a certain song. Believe me, it's not like I don't love music anymore, because I do. To be honest, I think I wasn't ready to be disappointed again. I never meant to play in a band or something or try to become famous with playing the guitar. But like every kid, I did sometimes daydream about it. But even if I never had those plans, I stilll thought it was a waste of my time; "Just another thing I'm not good at".

But you know? I haven't sold my quitars yet. Heck, I even bought a new acoustic one (as you can see in the picture)! Why? Because I can't. Those instruments mean a lot to me. They kind of stand for hope. Because, I believe, at some point I know I will start playing again!

To be continued...

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

"Assassin's Creed; The Secret Crusade" Book review

Hey, Jess here! Me, a huge fan of the Assassins Creed game series, is also a hug fan of the Assassins Creed book series. What a coincidence! No, not really, haha. I can't remember when I discovered the books, but I'm definitely sure that I did. Though there is a little catch. Not all the books have been written according to the chronological order from the games. This won't be a problem at all, I'll just follow the games' order and I'll mention in what year the books have been written. Easy peasy lemon squeezy (or something like that)! Assassin's Creed; The Secret Crusade This book was written in 2011 by Oliver Bowden. This is not the first book he's written, but the story is about Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad who is the first Assassin from the first game. Right of the bat I want to talk about the thing I find the most awesome about the books Bowden has written about Assassins Creed. His books don't just follow the stories of the games. It&

God research: 2. Hou Yi

Hey, Jess here! So I kind of let the game decide for me which god I was going to discuss next. In Smite there is a game mode that's called Assault. In this game mode you het a random god picked out for and you have to do it with that one. Though you do have the option to switch with one of your teammates, but only if they want that too. Because of this, I said to myself "whichever one you get to play with, that will be the one you'll discuss next". And so it happened... Hou Yi in the right upper corner, next to the World Tree, taking aim at the suns.   Hou Yi is from the Chinese mythology and he was a famous archer. He is mostly known from the myth of the Ten Suns. This story is one of the most famous Chinese myths and takes place in prehistoric times. Back then a week consisted of 10 days instead of 7. For every day there was a sun and a sun bearer, also called a Jun-raven, that would take place in the sky for that day. These sun bearers were the sons of

God research: 4. Kukulkan

Hey, Jess here! Back with another god research. I do like doing random gods, so I keep on doing it. But if there are any requests, feel free to ask me. I'd really like that! For now, I'll be discussing Kukulkan. Unfortunately there isn't much known about Kukulkan, but I'll try to do it with what I could find. Kukulkan is a Mayan god who is also known as Quetzalcoatl in the Aztec culture. His name literary translated to "Feathered Serpent" as "kuk" means "feather" and with the adjectival suffix "-ul" ("kukul") it means "feathered". Then, "can" means "snake" and combined it becomes "feathered snake". https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons /d/d9/YaxchilanDivineSerpent.jpg The origins of Kukulkan are among the Maya of the Classic Period which is from 200 AD to 1000. At this time he was known as Waxaklahun Ubah Kan which means the War Serpent. Later he became the V

Most recent books

  • "Magnus Chase; And the Hammer of Thor" -Rick Riordan
  • "A Street Cat Named Bob" -James Bowen
  • "Magnus Chase; And the Word of Summer" -Rick Riordan
  • "Sacred Stone" -Clive Cussler
  • "Assassin's Creed; Underworld' -Oliver Bowden