Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

God research: 5. Chronos

Hey, Jess here!

This time, my random god selector (a.k.a. a match of Assault in Smite) came up with Chronos. So let's do it.

Chronos is the god of time, measurable time to be exact. He was originated from the first god Chaos. Another Greek word for time is Kairos, but this roughly means 'the indeterminate moment that is right for something to occur' and is more associated with the feeling of not knowing how much (measurable) time has passed.

Source: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronos
Chronos is usually portrayed as an old and very wise man who has a long, grey beard. This is similar to Father Time. This name also came from something else. Chronos is often confused with Cronus, the Titan (though some think he is consciously identified with him) because of the similar names. Also, the Greeks believed that the name Cronus was an allegorical name for Chronos. It wasn't only the name, but also the story of how Cronus ate his children (the Olympians) was interpreted as an allegory to a specific aspect of time. This aspect of time was held in Cronus's sphere of influence.
According to the theory, Cronus was a representation of the destructive ravages of time that consumed all things. This was literally shown when the Titan consumed the Olympians. It states that the past is consuming the future and that older generations suppress the next one (sounds familiar huh?).

Below you can find Chronos' lore as it is written by the creators of Smite.

Existence is measured in age. How many years has a mortal lived? What was the construction date of the Parthenon? When were the cosmos formed? Time begins at birth, at creation. But, inevitably, time for all things comes to an end. Except, of course, time itself. Bearer of the clock of eternity, rimmed by signs of the Zodiac, the Keeper of Time, Chronos, counts every tick of the second hand, preventing interference with that essential forward momentum. If he knows who or when the eternal clock was wound, Chronos does not tell, but upon the first stroke, he came to be. Emptiness was the ocean, then, and his only companion was Ananke, Queen of Fate. Together, their powers divided the vastness into heaven and earth and sea and sky. Thereafter, Chronos became an observer, the watchman of infinity. Patient to a fault, Chronos knows no urgency. He does not fear pain, or war, or death, for he is time itself and will outlast all. For this reason, his presence on the field of battle is alarming. This war between Gods must portend a conclusion so dire as to threaten the very existence of time. Perhaps, all the Gods should begin counting the seconds of the eternal clock. There may be few of them remaining.

Unfortunately this was all I could find about Chronos. I searched on many websites, looked into all the books I have related to the subject and I even asked other people on other websites about it. There just don't seem to be any stories involving Chronos. There was one person though, who suggested that I'd watch Class of the Titans, because Chronos is the villain in this series. But I don't think that's a very reliable source. That doesn't mean I won't watch it some time for my own enjoyment =)

Someone else suggested me to read a certain book. From what I've seen, it's a novel and not anything academic, but it's based on the myths about the lesser known deities and all. I also know (now) that it's part of series. I haven't looked up of how many books it consists, but I might read it at some point. If I'm able to get my hands on it and also be able to read it in a doable time, I will let you know if I have found anything interesting!

For now, I'd like to take a little time to talk about something else. I've been working on a silly webcomic, but I haven't been able to publish it. Okay, that's mostly because I'm too scared of how it will turn out. I really have a lot of fun drawing those (simple) pictures and I think it's all kind of funny, but I'm afraid I'm the only one who thinks that. My boyfriend likes them too, but maybe he's just being nice?

And that's not all. I just can't come up with a good name for it. My boyfriend (there he is again!) came up with a name and I thought it was quite good and funny, but then I started thinking about it a little more and I doubt if it's actually a fitting name. To be honest, now that I'm writing this, I don't even know if a name is really necessary!

You seen, I would love to publish the first part of it all, but I'm holding myself back. I was planning to post it all on Tumblr, because many who have become great, started there and/or are still posting there. But I don't have too many followers yet and I don't know how to reach people there, because none of my friends are on Tumblr, so I don't have anywhere to start.

The point is, I'm just too scared of everything to actually do it. I'm sorry about complaining and all, but I just wish I knew how to do this all.


To be continued...

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

"Assassin's Creed; The Secret Crusade" Book review

Hey, Jess here! Me, a huge fan of the Assassins Creed game series, is also a hug fan of the Assassins Creed book series. What a coincidence! No, not really, haha. I can't remember when I discovered the books, but I'm definitely sure that I did. Though there is a little catch. Not all the books have been written according to the chronological order from the games. This won't be a problem at all, I'll just follow the games' order and I'll mention in what year the books have been written. Easy peasy lemon squeezy (or something like that)! Assassin's Creed; The Secret Crusade This book was written in 2011 by Oliver Bowden. This is not the first book he's written, but the story is about Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad who is the first Assassin from the first game. Right of the bat I want to talk about the thing I find the most awesome about the books Bowden has written about Assassins Creed. His books don't just follow the stories of the games. It&

God research: 2. Hou Yi

Hey, Jess here! So I kind of let the game decide for me which god I was going to discuss next. In Smite there is a game mode that's called Assault. In this game mode you het a random god picked out for and you have to do it with that one. Though you do have the option to switch with one of your teammates, but only if they want that too. Because of this, I said to myself "whichever one you get to play with, that will be the one you'll discuss next". And so it happened... Hou Yi in the right upper corner, next to the World Tree, taking aim at the suns.   Hou Yi is from the Chinese mythology and he was a famous archer. He is mostly known from the myth of the Ten Suns. This story is one of the most famous Chinese myths and takes place in prehistoric times. Back then a week consisted of 10 days instead of 7. For every day there was a sun and a sun bearer, also called a Jun-raven, that would take place in the sky for that day. These sun bearers were the sons of

God Research: 7. Chang'e

Hey, Jess here! Quite a while ago already, I wrote about Hou Yi. In this story I mentioned the name Chang'e a few times, because she is Hou Yi's wife. Then it so happened that I were to play Chang'e in a match of Assault in Smite, so now it's time to talk about her. Just like her husband, Chang'e is from the Chinese mythology. She is a beautiful woman who now lives on the moon.  This makes her the moon goddess. But she wasn't always that. There are at least two versions of her story and some details have even more variations. Version 1 Source: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang%27e#/ media/File:Chang%27e_flies_to_the_moon_-_Project_ Gutenberg_eText_15250.jpg When Chang'e still was a young, but already beautiful girl, she actually carried the name Heng'e. At that time she worked in the Jade Emperor's palace which was in heaven. In this palace resided the immortals, good people and also fairies. But one day, Heng'e broke a very

Most recent books

  • "Magnus Chase; And the Hammer of Thor" -Rick Riordan
  • "A Street Cat Named Bob" -James Bowen
  • "Magnus Chase; And the Word of Summer" -Rick Riordan
  • "Sacred Stone" -Clive Cussler
  • "Assassin's Creed; Underworld' -Oliver Bowden