Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

"Magnus Chase; The Sword of Summer" Book review

Hey, Jess here!

At the moment I'm reading the second book of a series. So before I finish (and review) it, I wanted to do a review on the first book of the series. I did have to refresh my memory a bit, because I've read the first book over a year ago, but I think it will be fine. Also: once again I don't want to go to much into the story itself to prevent any spoilers. If a spoiler does occur, I will mention it beforehand. So let's begin.

"Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard; The Sword of Summer"
So this series is one of the many Rick Riordan has written. I think most people don't know his name, but when I mention Percy Jackson, I'm pretty sure it rings a bell. The series of Magnus Chase is the fourth series I'm reading and I have love all of it. If anyone is interested in reviews of the other series, I'm more than glad to do it.

So as many of you might expect, the series is about gods, the Norse gods to be exact. And also not very unexpected; Magnus Chase is the main character. Quite soon in the story you meet some other characters that play large roles in the story. There's Hearthstone who is an elf, Blitzen who is a dwarf and Samirah who is a valkyrie. Throughout the story you meet an important relative of Magnus', Randolph, and a few gods, godesses, giants and more. The story tells about a prophecy regarding Magnus and how he, Hearthstone, Blitzen and Samirah go on a quest to safe the world. Since it's the first book of the series, there's no real end, but they have stopped a great threat.

Furthermore I want to say that the target audience is probably a little younger than I am. This does not mean it's written badly in any way, it's just a little simple. There are barely any difficult words... or I'm better in English than I think (ahum, egoboost), because, yes; I prefer to read in English even though that's not my own language. Actually the stories are written quite lightly, which makes it more enjoyable to read in my opinion. Most of the books, and also this one, are written from the main character's perspective. This makes it that you only read what happens to him, what his actions are and what he's thinking. This and the way the author writes, gives plenty of room for jokes and all that. In fact that's half the reason I love Riordan's book and I continue to buy and read them. All the chapter names are good examples of the humor in the books. My favorite in this book is number 13:
13. Phil the potato meets his doom.
 But through the entire stories there all sorts of jokes and sarcastic remarks and what  not.
And, as is still obvious, the story is about the Norse gods, so mythology does play it's part. (This is the other half of the reason I love it). But the gods that you come across in the story are not as you know them from the movies or games such as, well, Smite. While they do have similarities, because there's the myths to take in account, there are many, many differences. Most of them are quite funny though. But if you really want it all to be accurate, I'm sorry to say that this is not the series for you. But to anyone else I can recommend this book!

To be continued...

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

"Assassin's Creed; The Secret Crusade" Book review

Hey, Jess here! Me, a huge fan of the Assassins Creed game series, is also a hug fan of the Assassins Creed book series. What a coincidence! No, not really, haha. I can't remember when I discovered the books, but I'm definitely sure that I did. Though there is a little catch. Not all the books have been written according to the chronological order from the games. This won't be a problem at all, I'll just follow the games' order and I'll mention in what year the books have been written. Easy peasy lemon squeezy (or something like that)! Assassin's Creed; The Secret Crusade This book was written in 2011 by Oliver Bowden. This is not the first book he's written, but the story is about Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad who is the first Assassin from the first game. Right of the bat I want to talk about the thing I find the most awesome about the books Bowden has written about Assassins Creed. His books don't just follow the stories of the games. It&

God research: 2. Hou Yi

Hey, Jess here! So I kind of let the game decide for me which god I was going to discuss next. In Smite there is a game mode that's called Assault. In this game mode you het a random god picked out for and you have to do it with that one. Though you do have the option to switch with one of your teammates, but only if they want that too. Because of this, I said to myself "whichever one you get to play with, that will be the one you'll discuss next". And so it happened... Hou Yi in the right upper corner, next to the World Tree, taking aim at the suns.   Hou Yi is from the Chinese mythology and he was a famous archer. He is mostly known from the myth of the Ten Suns. This story is one of the most famous Chinese myths and takes place in prehistoric times. Back then a week consisted of 10 days instead of 7. For every day there was a sun and a sun bearer, also called a Jun-raven, that would take place in the sky for that day. These sun bearers were the sons of

God Research: 7. Chang'e

Hey, Jess here! Quite a while ago already, I wrote about Hou Yi. In this story I mentioned the name Chang'e a few times, because she is Hou Yi's wife. Then it so happened that I were to play Chang'e in a match of Assault in Smite, so now it's time to talk about her. Just like her husband, Chang'e is from the Chinese mythology. She is a beautiful woman who now lives on the moon.  This makes her the moon goddess. But she wasn't always that. There are at least two versions of her story and some details have even more variations. Version 1 Source: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang%27e#/ media/File:Chang%27e_flies_to_the_moon_-_Project_ Gutenberg_eText_15250.jpg When Chang'e still was a young, but already beautiful girl, she actually carried the name Heng'e. At that time she worked in the Jade Emperor's palace which was in heaven. In this palace resided the immortals, good people and also fairies. But one day, Heng'e broke a very

Most recent books

  • "Magnus Chase; And the Hammer of Thor" -Rick Riordan
  • "A Street Cat Named Bob" -James Bowen
  • "Magnus Chase; And the Word of Summer" -Rick Riordan
  • "Sacred Stone" -Clive Cussler
  • "Assassin's Creed; Underworld' -Oliver Bowden