Doorgaan naar hoofdcontent

How I started playing Pokémon

Hey, Jesse here!

My boyfriend and I share almost everything we have. Everything I own is also his and everything he owns is also mine. Of course this has its boundaries, we don't use the same toothbrush for example. But everything like books, games, and all those kind of things, we share. That's why I am able to borrow games from him every now and then so I don't have to buy them. I am currently borrowing Pokémon Mystery Dungeon; Gates of Infinity. At first I wanted to play another game of the Mystery Dungeon series, but that one was newer, so I decided to play it after this one. But because of this, I thought it would be nice to talk about how I started playing Pokémon in general. It actually started out in a way that makes you think there's no connection at all. But bear with me and it will all make sense at the end.

So I was an animal lover for as long as I can remember and as a child I always wanted a pet. (I still do, by the way.) But my parents didn't want it. And like most children, the kind of pet I wanted the most was a dog. But I could only dream of it. At least that is what I thought! At that time I was playing badminton and I often had matches. The club I played at, had devided all the players in groups of four and I was grouped with another girl and two boys. One time when my mother was driving the for of to one of those matches, one of those boys had his Nintendo DS with him (which was pretty new back then). The game he was playing was called Nintendogs, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows it or has at least heard about it. Anyway, I was watching him play while we were in the car and I thought it was the absolute best. I saw it as a way closest to having an actual dog. That was when I decided I wanted that too. So I spent a whole lot of time saving up money to buy the device and the game.

But when I had finally gathered enough money and was able to buy them, I loved it so much! I was playing the game as much as I could. Maybe I was trying to show my parents how committed I was and that I could definitely handle a real dog too. And maybe the younger me wasn't even thinking about that and just enjoying a game, who can tell?

But of course, at some point I wanted to play other games too. I have to add that I was around ten years old when I got Nintendogs and that was my first game ever. I never had any other kind of device/console to play anything on. So maybe I was getting a little spoiled and just one game wasn't enough anymore. I then either got the next game as a birthday present or I bought it myself, but I can't really remember. But I got a new game which was all about training your mind with all sorts of puzzles. To the present me it's really boring, but back then I had a lot of fun with it. But that could also be because I actually just started gaming, haha.

Then, we skip a year or two to three. That's when the son of one of my mother's friends (he wasn't really my friend, more of someone I 'know') told me about a certain memory card. On this card you could store all sorts of games that you could download from a certain website. (I know this sounds kind of sketchy, but I just can't remember the name of the website, so I don't even know if it's still available.) After discussing it with my parents, they bought it for me, because it wasn't too expensive and it would save a lot of money afterwards. I didn't have to buy all the individual games anymore! When it arrived, I immediately downloaded all sorts of games that seemed interesting. Among them were two Pokémon games. I only knew Pokémon from the series on tv back then, so I had no idea what the games were about. These two games were Diamond and Pearl. So yes, the first Pokémon games I played were from the fourth generation, haha. When I played pearl at first, I had barely any idea what I was doing or supposed to do, so I got stuck at some point. I actually had to look up a walkthrough to get past that. But even if I had a little trouble, I absolutely loved it. After I finished it, I immediately started to play Diamond. I didn't even care that it was actually the same story!
Soon after that, Pokémon Platinum was released. It was quite expensive, but I just needed it. Again I started to save up some money, which didn't take as long as it did to buy the Nintendo DS fortunately. Again, it was mostly the same story and I still loved it. And then when I got to parts that were different from Diamond and Pearl, it was even better!

Due to my growing love for Pokémon, I started looking for more games that were available on that website so I could download them. That's how I found the Mystery Dungeon games. I don't really remember what the first one of these was that I played, but I know I loved it all too. Again there were a whole lot of similarities between these games, but I still like playing each one. And later, I started playing the Pokémon Ranger games that were available in the same way.

And now, a lot of years later, I'm still a huge Pokémon fan. I am rewatching the series for like the third time, I've played a lot of the games (a lot thanks to my boyfriend <3) and I even have a few Pokémon plushies. But that's not all! Me and my boyfriend have collected a lot of trading cards and were even able to sell a few! And of course were still playing Pokémon Go together (but that's also because we like taking walks). And don't forget about all the drawings I made, which is way more than I've posted.

To be continued...

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

"Assassin's Creed; The Secret Crusade" Book review

Hey, Jess here! Me, a huge fan of the Assassins Creed game series, is also a hug fan of the Assassins Creed book series. What a coincidence! No, not really, haha. I can't remember when I discovered the books, but I'm definitely sure that I did. Though there is a little catch. Not all the books have been written according to the chronological order from the games. This won't be a problem at all, I'll just follow the games' order and I'll mention in what year the books have been written. Easy peasy lemon squeezy (or something like that)! Assassin's Creed; The Secret Crusade This book was written in 2011 by Oliver Bowden. This is not the first book he's written, but the story is about Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad who is the first Assassin from the first game. Right of the bat I want to talk about the thing I find the most awesome about the books Bowden has written about Assassins Creed. His books don't just follow the stories of the games. It&

God research: 2. Hou Yi

Hey, Jess here! So I kind of let the game decide for me which god I was going to discuss next. In Smite there is a game mode that's called Assault. In this game mode you het a random god picked out for and you have to do it with that one. Though you do have the option to switch with one of your teammates, but only if they want that too. Because of this, I said to myself "whichever one you get to play with, that will be the one you'll discuss next". And so it happened... Hou Yi in the right upper corner, next to the World Tree, taking aim at the suns.   Hou Yi is from the Chinese mythology and he was a famous archer. He is mostly known from the myth of the Ten Suns. This story is one of the most famous Chinese myths and takes place in prehistoric times. Back then a week consisted of 10 days instead of 7. For every day there was a sun and a sun bearer, also called a Jun-raven, that would take place in the sky for that day. These sun bearers were the sons of

God Research: 7. Chang'e

Hey, Jess here! Quite a while ago already, I wrote about Hou Yi. In this story I mentioned the name Chang'e a few times, because she is Hou Yi's wife. Then it so happened that I were to play Chang'e in a match of Assault in Smite, so now it's time to talk about her. Just like her husband, Chang'e is from the Chinese mythology. She is a beautiful woman who now lives on the moon.  This makes her the moon goddess. But she wasn't always that. There are at least two versions of her story and some details have even more variations. Version 1 Source: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang%27e#/ media/File:Chang%27e_flies_to_the_moon_-_Project_ Gutenberg_eText_15250.jpg When Chang'e still was a young, but already beautiful girl, she actually carried the name Heng'e. At that time she worked in the Jade Emperor's palace which was in heaven. In this palace resided the immortals, good people and also fairies. But one day, Heng'e broke a very

Most recent books

  • "Magnus Chase; And the Hammer of Thor" -Rick Riordan
  • "A Street Cat Named Bob" -James Bowen
  • "Magnus Chase; And the Word of Summer" -Rick Riordan
  • "Sacred Stone" -Clive Cussler
  • "Assassin's Creed; Underworld' -Oliver Bowden